Welcome to the University of Michigan!
We look forward to working with you as you start your journey as a Michigan Wolverine. Orientation is required for all new first-year and transfer, degree-seeking students. Due to the impact of COVID-19, new undergraduate students enrolling in summer and fall terms will complete orientation remotely.
We realize that an online orientation program is not the same as an in-person experience. Nevertheless, we are committed to providing the best online orientation experience possible. You will have an opportunity to learn about campus, meet with an academic advisor, talk with current students and register for your first semester of classes.
After you have been admitted to UM and paid the $300 EDR, you will receive an email in mid-April to register for an Advising Date. You will also receive instructions on how to complete the online orientation modules and placement tests prior to your Advising Date.
Here are a few things to do before orientation:
Accessing the Michigan Online Transfer Orientation Module
After you have successfully signed up for the Spring Academic Advising date, you must complete the Michigan Online Transfer Orientation Module.
The Michigan Online Transfer Orientation Module takes approximately 90-120 minutes to complete. Complete the module by April 27th. Failure to complete the module will delay your ability to register for courses on May 4th.
To complete the online module, follow these instructions:
- Using an internet browser, navigate to: canvas.umich.edu
- We recommend completing the module on a laptop or desktop computer instead of a mobile device
- Log in using your University of Michigan uniqname and Kerberos password.
- After you have logged in, you will be directed to your Canvas Dashboard. On the Dashboard, look for the course titled “ONSP 2020 Spring Orientation”. Click on this course.
- You will be directed to the Michigan Online Transfer Orientation Module. At the top of the site, you will see the first section, titled “Welcome to Spring Orientation”. Click on this button to begin the module.
- You can navigate through the module by simply pressing the “next” button at the bottom of each screen. Sections that are listed as optional can be skipped over at any time by clicking on “Home” on the top left side of the screen. This will take you to the main menu where you can select your next section manually.
- After each section, you must take the quiz for the section and get at least 50% of the questions correct in order to proceed to the next section.
- You do not need to complete the entire online module at one time, but you must complete all of the sections by April 27th. Students who do not complete the online module may not be eligible to register for classes on May 4th.
More resources on Canvas can be found under the section "Resources for Using Canvas" below.
If you have any questions about navigating through the online module, please contact the Office of New Student Programs at 734-764-6413 or email email@example.com.
Online Placement Exams
Placement exams in mathematics, Spanish and the Directed Self-Placement for Writing are administered online prior to your Academic Advising Day. All tests are for placement in University of Michigan courses only. Scores will be given to your academic advisor, who will review the results with you during your advising appointment. ONSP is unable to provide you with any preliminary scores.Students must complete the online exams before their orientation Advising Date.
Please refer to the Transfer Placement Exam Requirment Chart to determine what placement tests you are required or encouraged to take.
Placement exams must be completed by Monday, April 20.
*For students with experience in languages other than Spanish, please contact the department of that language to coordinate placement in a course. A list of the languages and their departments can be found at: http://www.onsp.umich.edu/langdeptcontacts
Academic Unit Online Pre-Advising Activities/Orientation Requirements
Each academic school/college has its own set of mandatory pre-advising activities. You will receive information directly from your school/college about these activities. You will need to have all of these activities completed before your Academic Advising Day on May 4. Please check your UMICH email regularly for more information.
Learn How to Use the U-M Course Registration System (Wolverine Access)
Wolverine Access is the system that you will use to register for your classes. Your academic advisors will expect you to already be familiar with this system on your Advising Date. There are several online tutorials available to assist you in learning Wolverine Access prior to the Spring Academic Advising date:
- U-M ITS Wolverine Access Tutorials
- LSA Advising Wolverine Access & Online Course Guide Tutorials
- Backpacking & Registration Simulation
(Please note: LSA tutorials are often helpful for all students, not just students in LSA.)
School & College Course Guides:
These resources and tutorials will introduce you to the course registration process and help to prepare you for course selection and registration.
Resources for Using Canvas
Canvas is the learning management system and online space that contains the Michigan Online Transfer Orientation Module and many of your future courses at the University! Please refer to the links below for more resources on using Canvas:
Submit Your Mcard Photo
Currently, all campus ID stations are closed until further notice. At this time, you should submit a photo to be used for your MCard. Your photo can be submitted online at: http://www.finance.umich.edu/treasury/mcard/timesaver.
When campus reopens to in-person activities, you may pick up your MCard at Room 1011 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson St. Government issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID, military ID or passport) will be required when picking up the Mcard. If you have any questions, contact the MCard Center at 734-936-2273, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Submit Your Audition for the Michigan Marching Band (if applicable)
-- AUDITIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY JULY 15th
Students interested in auditioning for the Michigan Marching Band must submit their audition materials by July 15th, 2020. For more information on auditions, please click on the image above, or visit the link at: https://www.michiganmarchingband.com/join-the-band