Do I Need to Take a Language Placement Exam?
During orientation we will offer proctored exams in the following languages: French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Russian. The Spanish exam is offered online.
Who needs to take a language placement exam?
Anyone in the following schools/colleges must take the exam, if you have any previous experience with these languages, regardless of previous credit received.
* Art & Design (including Preferred Admits to Ross)
* Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA)
* Honors College in LSA
* Residential College in LSA
* Ross School of Business
-- Direct Admits (freshmen)
-- Preferred Admits to Ross in Art & Design, Engineering, Kinesiology, and SMTD
* School of Music, Theatre and Dance -- only the sections noted below
-- Voice Performance
-- Musical Theatre
-- Theatre Performance (Acting)
-- SMTD Preferred Admits to Ross
* School of Education -- noted below
-- Transfer students continuing their studies in a world language
-- Transfer students seeking teacher certification for a world language
Students in the following schools/colleges are strongly encouraged, but not required, to take these exams if you have any previous experience with these languages.
* Comprehensive Studies Program in LSA
* School of Music, Theatre and Dance -- in programs not mentioned above
* School of Education -- in programs not mentioned above
Students in the following schools/colleges are not required to take the language placement exams; however, you may receive academic credit if you score well on them.
* College of Engineering (except Preferred Admits to Ross; see above)
Students in the following schools/colleges are exempt from taking the language placement exams.
* Kinesiology (except Preferred Admits to Ross; see above)
* Dental Hygiene (Transfer students)