Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Each role in our office plays an integral role in welcoming new Wolverines and their family members to the University community. Below you will find more information on the available positions working with our Orientation programs. These sections include job descriptions, information on the hiring processes, important dates, and the applications to our roles. Thanks again for your interest in joining our team and please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any further questions.
Orientation Leader Job Description and Responsibilities
The Online Orientation Leader position is an essential peer leadership position within the Office of New Student Programs. This position will facilitate and assist in the transition of new students and their family members to the University of Michigan community through the online orientation program. Staff will serve as mentors to new students, relay critical campus information, answer questions and concerns, as well as work to build community amongst new students. Staff will also have substantial administrative work related to the monitoring of online orientation content and assistance in ONSP day to day operations.
- Represent the Office of New Student Programs to new students and their family members throughout the online orientation program and serve as a knowledgeable source of campus information
- Fully engage and participate in weekly virtual training meetings beginning in April and a two week virtual training program in May
- Engage, communicate, and assist an assigned group of new students through email communication and online office hours to ease their transition to the U-M community
- Present approximately four virtual Orientation Welcome presentations each week with a co-facilitator
- Co-facilitate approximately four virtual small group discussion sessions with new students per week to build community and address common transition issues concerns
- Assist in the administration and facilitation of online panels and discussions on specific topical areas or campus departments and resources
- Assist in the staffing of an online chat response for the Office of New Student Programs
- Routinely monitor the progress of assigned students in the completion of online module content, send reminders to students, and communicate this information with university administrators to ensure satisfactory completion of orientation content and approval for course registration
- Attend virtual weekly staff meetings
- Attend virtual weekly one-on-one meetings with supervisor
Qualifications and Eligibility:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comfort and familiarity with online communication platforms
- Ability to work independently on detail oriented projects
- An understanding of campus resources and willingness to learn more
- Access to a personal computer with camera, and phone in order to work remotely
- Staff must have access to/provide a reliable internet connection
- Comfort with public speaking, storytelling, and facilitation
- Comfort with Excel or Google Sheets
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student at the University of Michigan
- Seniors graduating in May 2021 are welcome to apply to the role
- Generally, a 2.5 GPA and a university conduct record free of either housing or OSCR offenses is required to be selected for the role
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Public speaking
- University administrative experience
- Orientation Leaders will be paid $12.50 per hour
- There are 16 positions available.
- Online Orientation Leaders will be assigned approximately 24-28 hours/week.
- Staff will be assigned regular shifts Monday through Friday between 8am - 6pm, but will occasionally be expected to participate in activities that fall outside of these hours.
- Position requires staff availability for training on the following dates:
- March 26, April 2, April 9, April 16, all 3:00pm - 4:30pm.
- May 10 - May 14 and May 17 - 21, 10:00am - 4:00pm. Training will include live sessions held remotely over Zoom along with a Canvas course.
- Staff must be available for regular work beginning May 24.
- The position has an end date of August 6.
Thank you for your interest in working with new students and their families. The deadline to apply for the 2021 Orientation Leader role has passed. Please check back here in late Fall 2021 for more information on Summer 2022 positions.