Check back in April 2023 for information regarding orientation for spring, summer, and fall 2023.
Winter orientation will consist of five steps:
- Register for a Virtual Academic Advising Date (instructions provided in your orientation invitation email, which is sent starting in November)
- Complete pre-advising activities
- Complete online placement exams (if required by your academic school/college)
- Participate in your registered Virtual Academic Advising Date, which includes academic advising and course registration for Winter Term courses
- Participate in orientation programming on Jan. 3, 2023 from noon-5 p.m. ET on campus
You can find detailed information on each of these steps on the Five Steps of Orientation page.
Student Expectations for Orientation
- We expect students to make their own reservations for their Virtual Academic Advising Date. Students are responsible for sharing details of their Virtual Academic Advising Date with their parents and family members if desired.
- We expect that students will create their University of Michigan computing account and password prior to registering for a Virtual Academic Advising Date, and will keep this information safe and secure. Students should not share this information with anyone, including their parents and family members, in order to ensure the confidentiality of student records.
- We expect students to complete all orientation activities. All components of the orientation are required and are specifically designed to assist students with their academic and social transition to the University.
- Students may be required to reschedule a Virtual Academic Advising Date if they have not completed the pre-advising steps (such as the virtual orientation course, academic unit Canvas course, and online placement exams) and are unprepared to register for classes.
- We expect students to participate in their Virtual Academic Advising Date with the assistance of the professional academic advisors only. It is our goal for students to build a relationship with their advisors as well as learn the necessary skills to register on their own in future terms. Any parents and family members participating in the virtual meetings will be asked to leave, and students will not be permitted to continue the advising and registration process until parents/family members are not present.
- We expect students to participate in all of the orientation programming in-person noon-5 p.m. ET on Jan. 3, 2023.
The fee for winter 2023 orientation is $150.
The fee will be added to your U-M student billing account in January. Do not send this fee in advance. Once you register for orientation, you are responsible for the entire fee whether or not you ultimately enroll at the University of Michigan. This fee supports the Office of New Student Programs, including the content created for orientation, supporting our student staff, and supporting other programming offered by our office for new students.
To request a fee waiver, email email@example.com from your U-M email and we will work with Financial Aid to determine approval.
During registration for your Virtual Academic Advising Date, you will be able to enter any accessibility needs you might have. In addition, you can email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns you have with completing orientation. Please contact us as soon as possible if you have concerns about accessing the internet or using a device to complete orientation.
It is important that students with disabilities register with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) as soon as possible to discuss your school year needs as well.