For spring, summer, and fall 2023, check back in April 2023 for information regarding orientation.
Winter orientation has five steps that you need to complete. Steps 1-3 must be completed prior to your Virtual Academic Advising Date. Please review the 5 Steps of Orientation in your invite emails (sent starting in November) or included below.
Step 1: Register for a Virtual Academic Advising Date
For instructions on how to register for a Virtual Academic Advising Date, please see our How to Register page.
Only register for a Virtual Academic Advising Date that you are available to fully participate in. Your school/college will be unable to work around conflicts on the day of your advising date and will ask you to reschedule if you are not available.
Step 2: Complete Pre-advising Activities
After you have successfully completed Step 1 and registered for a Virtual Academic Advising Date, you must complete the following activities.
Complete the virtual orientation course (log in with your U-M credentials).
- The course covers information about resources and services that can help you be successful here at Michigan, as well as an overview of campus traditions, processes, and culture, so that you will feel like a Wolverine from day one.
- The course takes approximately three hours to complete and can be completed at your own pace.
If you have any questions about accessing or navigating through the course, please contact the Office of New Student Programs at 734-764-6413 or email email@example.com.
Complete any additional mandatory pre-advising and advising activities required by your academic school/college.
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), including CSP, Honors, and RC
For students in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), you must identify the LSA academic advising subsection(s) to which you belong.
LSA is divided into the Newnan Advising Center (general LSA), the Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP), the Honors Program, and the Residential College (RC). In your letter of admission, it will specify if you have been admitted to the Comprehensive Studies Program. Students who have been admitted to the Honors Program or the Residential College will receive information directly from those programs. All other students admitted to LSA will receive advising from the Newnan Advising Center.
Please refer to the tasks you are required to complete by your academic unit prior to your Virtual Academic Advising Date:
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (Newnan Advising Center)
- Complete all activities listed in the MyAdvising orientation portal.
- Additional information with the Zoom link and time will show up in the MyAdvising orientation portal one week before your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
- Check your U-M email for reminders about your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
- Orientation will consist of a one-hour meeting with an academic advisor and course registration.
LSA Comprehensive Studies Program (CSP)
- Watch for emails from CSP. One week prior to your advising date, CSP will send you the Zoom link and additional information before your Virtual Academic Advising Date, which will include a group presentation, an individual meeting with your academic advisor, and course registration.
LSA Honors Program
- Complete the LSA Honors Orientation Canvas Course.
- Watch for emails from the LSA Honors Program. One week prior to your advising date, the Honors Program will send you the Zoom link and additional information before your Virtual Academic Advising Date, which will include an individual meeting with your academic advisor, course registration, and a follow-up email after registration.
LSA Residential College Program (RC)
- Visit the Residential College website to view a presentation about the RC and prepare for academic advising.
- Watch for an email from the Residential College with additional information before your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
Check your U-M email regularly. You will receive information directly from the academic advising office at your school/college that will contain specific instructions about what you need to complete to prepare for academic advising and course registration on your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
College of Architecture and Urban Planning
Below are tasks that you need to complete prior to your advising date, as required by the College of Architecture and Urban Planning:
- Following your November Cohort meeting, you will be added to the Taubman First-year Orientation Course.
- Watch for emails from the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. One month before your Virtual Academic Advising Date, they will send you additional information about your academic advising schedule and activities.
School of Kinesiology
Here are the tasks you need to complete prior to your advising date, as required by the School of Kinesiology:
- Complete the Kinesiology Canvas course. It is imperative to have this completed before your advising session so that you are prepared to have an informed conversation with your academic advisor. Failure to do so will make the registration process more challenging.
- One week prior to your advising date, the School of Kinesiology will send you a Zoom link and additional information about your Virtual Academic Advising Date schedule, which will include academic advising, meetings with peer advisors, backpacking, and course registration.
Be sure to check your U-M email regularly as your academic unit will email you directly with more information.
Please complete the above activities at least one week prior to your Virtual Academic Advising Date. It is important to be prepared, so utilize the resources and tutorials to familiarize yourself with Wolverine Access, course guides, and the backpacking system to be ready to register on your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
Finally, please familiarize yourself with the online platform, Zoom, which will be used for your Virtual Academic Advising Date. Try logging in with your U-M credentials.
Step 3: Complete Online Placement Exams
Find out which placement exams are required, how to access them, and accommodation information on our Placement Exams page.
Step 4: Participate in Your Virtual Academic Advising Date
Your academic unit will communicate to you directly about your assigned activities and time for advising/course registration. It is essential that you check your U-M email regularly for this information. If you have not received an email from your school/college at least two days prior to your advising date, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not have any other plans scheduled on the day of your Virtual Academic Advising Date to be sure you can fully participate in any required advising activities. Activities will likely occur sometime between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET. Your academic unit will ask you to reschedule if you are unable to participate in the assigned activities. If you have concerns about time zones, please email email@example.com after registering for your Virtual Academic Advising Date.
Step 5: Participate in On-campus, In-person Orientation Program on Jan. 3, 2023
Save the date. This is the final step of orientation.
All students must plan to be on campus on Jan. 3, 2023 from noon-5 p.m. ET. This in-person program is designed to aid in your smooth transition to the U-M community. During the afternoon, you will have an opportunity to get acquainted with many of the important resources at U-M and the staff who support them, meet your orientation leaders and engage with other new students, and learn how to navigate our campus. Lunch will be provided.
If you require an accommodation to participate in this event, please complete this form immediately as some accommodations may take at least two weeks to arrange. A staff member will respond within one to two business days of submitting your request to confirm any necessary information.